WCIG logo
Close this search box.


Better Futures/Home Stretch


Better Futures

To be eligible for a referral to Better Futures, a you must be:

  • In kinship care, foster care, residential care or permanent care on or after your 16th birthday and on a Care by Secretary Order, Long-Term Care Order, Family Reunification Order or permanent care order.

Young people can be referred from 15 years and 9 months. 

If you are eligible for Better Futures support, you will remain supported until 21 years old.

Home Stretch

Home Stretch is available to:

  • Young people on a family reunification order, a care by secretary order or a long-term care order leaving care services from 16 years of age.
  • Young people subject to permanent care orders and residing with their carers immediately prior to their 18th birthday.

In the instance of young people on a family reunification order, a care by secretary order or a long-term care order, Home Stretch arrangements start after a young person’s child protection order expires. 

Referrals into the Better Futures program can be completed by case managers, members of the community or self-referrals.

Case managers referring into the program may be: Child Protection case managers, contracted case managers / Aboriginal Children in Aboriginal Care (ACAC) case managers and Permanent Care and Adoptive Families case managers.

If you would like to make a referral, please contact WCIG Better Futures Manager to check your eligibility and discuss the referral.

Translate »